Thursday, December 14, 2006

Advanced Concept: Wait, and Think, Before Judging

I checked LEXIS today and found probably eight new Fourth Amendment cases that you folks might like to know about. That is a bit much to summarize in one day so why not start with something totally different--the deal with former Deputy Long, who fired the bullet(s) that killed handyman/thug Peyton Strickland.

Note how I said in the previous post about this incident that waiting for some facts was prudent. Little did I know HOW prudent. We all know that if a grand jury refuses to follow the prosecutor's orders and returns no true bill, there is some very good reason for it. And although deputies in North Carolina serve at the sheriff's pleasure, when a deputy gets fired, there is also usually some very good reason. I will now hazard a guess that regardless of how culpable or not the former deputy was, what's really driving the continuing investigation is that New Hanover County is desperate for somebody to throw under the bus. It's way better for the shooting to look like the malfeasance of a rogue deputy than to look like there may have been a problem with selection, training, equipment, policy, tactics, or leadership.

In no way am I presuming to evaluate anybody or any department. I'm not SWAT and haven't ever served a high-risk warrant and I just don't have any business after-actioning this operation one way or the other. All I am saying is that I have no reason to think that the decision to ask for Mr. Long's badge was wrong, and neither do I have any reason to think the non-indictment was wrong. If over a week of investigation couldn't turn up even probable cause for murder two, then leave the guy alone. The civil suit will be torture enough.

No comments: