Monday, December 18, 2006

We Could Use Some NEW Movies

Saw Eragon last night with about 20 of my closest friends. I would summarize it thus: If you've seen Star Wars 100 times and Empire Strikes Back 50 times, you've seen Eragon 300 times. If you're under 10 years old, you will eat it up because you don't know any better and because it has swordfights and cool dragons, well ONE dragon anyway. I thought the whole thing was a flagrant waste of Jeremy Irons, who plays Obi-wan, I mean Brom the washed-up dragonrider. The poor guy stands fast while the rest of the film collapses around him under the dead weight of a million cliches. I do look forward to the DVD (not that I'm going to buy it; I'll just watch it with someone who did) so I can write a list of everything shamelessly ripped off from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Some have, if only to complain about the resemblance to still other films, compared Eragon to Lord of the Rings. Don't you dare. The only thing the two worlds have in common is that they're sort of medieval. There is no overriding Quest for a single object, other than the actors' frantic off-camera search for their agents to find other gigs which will render them unavailable for the sequel(s). There are only occasional mentions of elves and dwarves, but we never see any--I guess a plot summary got leaked to them and they fled in terror. John Malkovich is unrecognizable as the Eeeevill Lord (probably because he wanted to be unrecognizable). And when Durza sneeringly wastes one of his flunkies and tells the next one in line he's just been promoted, I had to add, "... Admiral Piett."

I understand Eragon the book is quite popular and probably you should read the book and spend your movie time on something else.

No comments: